How can I increase the battery life on my Samsung notebook?
Battery life is heavily affected by how the notebook is used. See below for tips on improving your notebook's battery life by reducing the demands on its memory and CPU.
Tips to increase battery life:
1. Reduce the number of programs running in the background, such as iTunes and Desktop Search. All of these add to the CPU load and reduce battery life.
2. Reduce the number of external devices. USB devices drain your laptop battery. Remove or shut them down when they aren't in use. Refrain as far as possible from using your laptop to charge devices (such as mp3 players and mobile phones).
3. Run files off of a hard drive rather than a CD or DVD. CD and DVD drives consume more power than hard drives. Even leaving a CD or DVD in the drive, unused, can consume extra power as the notebook will still spin the disc even when you aren't actively using it.
4. Clean your battery’s metal contacts every couple of months with a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol. This keeps the transfer of power from your battery more efficient.
5. Do not leave a charged battery dormant for long periods of time. Once charged you should use the battery at least once every two to three weeks. Also do not let a Li-On battery completely discharge.
6. Defragment your local disc(s) regularly. See this guide on how to do so.
7. Dim your screen through the screen brightness settings on your notebook.
8. Hibernate your notebook instead of leaving it on stand by.
9. Keep the operating temperature down by regularly cleaning out the notebook's air vents with a cloth or a keyboard cleaner. You might also consider buying a cooling stand or station for your notebook, especially if you use it to play high-end computer games.
10. Disable the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals when they aren't in use.
If you are looking for a new battery, replacement parts for Samsung products can be found at the following websites:
Thank you for your feedback!
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
There are a number of different ways of contacting us via Live Chat, Email, Twitter, Facebook Messenger and more.