Samsung Pay Goes Live in Singapore
- Consumers in Singapore will now be able to use their compatible Samsung smartphones to pay with Samsung Pay at almost anywhere1 in the country
- Samsung introduces merchant promotions available with mobile payment service
Singapore, June 16, 2016 – Samsung Electronics Singapore announced the availability of Samsung Pay for use in Singapore, beginning today. Available on the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 4G+, S6 edge+ 4G+, S7 4G+ and S7 edge 4G+, the secure and easy-to-use mobile payment service can be used to make purchases almost anywhere1 that debit cards or credit cards are accepted. Samsung Pay users can now use their credit cards from Citibank, as well as debit cards or credit cards from DBS/POSB, OCBC Bank and Standard Chartered to make transactions at terminals that accept contactless payments as well as those that do not accept contactless payment with their compatible Samsung smartphones.
"Today, Samsung Pay goes live in Singapore. Ahead of the launch, we have established extensive partnerships, not just with card networks and issuers, but also merchants where consumers will be able to enjoy a myriad of promotions when they make purchases at various merchants across the island," said Eugene Goh, Vice President, IT & Mobile, Samsung Electronics Singapore.
Customers who purchase Galaxy S7 4G+ or Galaxy S7 edge 4G+ and activate Samsung Pay on their newly purchased device at the Samsung Experience Stores will receive a free Travel Adaptor2.
Starting from today, ongoing promotions will also be held at selected merchants such as AmorePacific and Watsons, applicable to purchases made in-stores using Samsung Pay. [More information on merchants can be found in Appendix A, B and C]
Samsung Pay is accepted at the vast majority of merchants in Singapore, wherever MasterCard or Visa is accepted, and is not limited to merchants that have updated to contactless terminals. Featuring close to 40 preferred merchants at launch, Singapore consumers will be able to use Samsung Pay at most merchants3 within the following categories [Full list of preferred merchants in Appendix A]:
• Supermarkets and Convenience Stores
• Departmental Stores
• Healthcare and Beauty Outlets
• Food and Beverage Outlets
• Fashion and Lifestyle Outlets
• Electronics and Furnishing Stores
• Travel and Entertainment
Feedback from Samsung Pay Open Beta Test Program
Ahead of Samsung Pay's launch in Singapore, an open beta test for the mobile payment service was held, in which thousands of participants were invited to be among the first to preview Samsung Pay in Singapore. The beta test was open for users of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 4G+, Galaxy S6 edge+ 4G+, Galaxy S7 4G+ and S7 edge 4G+ with their MasterCard and Visa debit or credit cards.
With participants being able to use the secure and easy-to-use mobile payment service to make purchases almost anywhere1 during the beta testing phase, Samsung received encouraging feedback and positive responses from participants. Initial feedback and data collated from the beta testing also enabled Samsung to fine-tune the service further ahead of launch to ensure a smoother experience for consumers.
"I have used Samsung Pay about five times so far, and I must say the experience has been seamless. I used to carry all my cards out in my wallet with me, but now my cards are all tied with Samsung Pay on my phone. I only bring one card out just in case, and leave all my back-up cards at home," said open beta test participant, Ju Lian Teo, 40, Commercial Manager.
"Ever since the first day of the open beta testing of Samsung Pay, I've used it on a daily basis for my purchases. It is very convenient and reliable, especially when I get to link my cards to it. I've even stopped carrying my cards around, and my wallet's a lot lighter now," said open beta test participant, Nishant Chemburkar, 22, Technology Analyst.
More Than a Payment Service
A secure and easy-to-use mobile payment service, Samsung Pay can be used to make purchases almost anywhere that credit and debit cards are accepted.
• SIMPLE: With Samsung Pay, every transaction is made super easy. You simply need to swipe up to bring up the last transacted credit or debit card, scan your fingerprint or key in your PIN and make payment.
• SAFE: With each separate transaction, Samsung Pay uses an encrypted digital token to replace sensitive card information to prevent fraud. Your payment information is better protected than ever before. Transactions made on Samsung Pay require registered fingerprint or PIN for authorization, so you are in control when each payment is made. The encrypted fingerprint information is stored in a separate, secure area of your device. Samsung's industry-leading KNOX security platform, which received the most "Strong" ratings of any mobile security platform for Corporate Managed Security4, provides real-time kernel protection and monitors malicious software and activities on your device for added security.
• ALMOST ANYWHERE1: Samsung Pay is accepted almost anywhere you can swipe or tap your credit or debit card. By incorporating Samsung's proprietary MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) technology, together with NFC (Near Field Communication), Samsung Pay will be compatible with the majority of existing and new payment terminals, allowing users to pay with their compatible Samsung smartphone almost anywhere. Thanks to MST, Singapore users can also use Samsung Pay for transactions up to their individual cards' limit.
About Samsung Pay
Samsung Pay, a mobile payment service from Samsung Electronics, is simple, safe and available almost anywhere you can swipe or tap your card. Combining NFC (Near Field Communication) with Samsung's proprietary MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) technologies, Samsung Pay provides consumers a way to pay almost anywhere you can swipe or tap a card at merchant locations. Samsung continues to strategically expand its partnership ecosystem for Samsung Pay to provide greater flexibility, access, and choice for customers while enabling an easy and safe payment experience.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, cameras, digital appliances, printers, medical equipment, network systems, and semiconductor and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at news.samsung.com.
1Availability almost anywhere is based on compatibility of Samsung Pay on MST and/or NFC payment terminals, with some supported for use only after software upgrades. Samsung Pay is exclusive to selected Samsung Galaxy smartphones only, and available across all participating payment networks, banks, and merchants. Availability may vary, please check www.samsung.com/sg/samsungpay for updates.
2Limited to 1 redemption per customer and while stocks last. Terms and conditions apply
3Subject to changes
4"Mobile Device Security: A Comparison of Platforms", Gartner, Inc. (6 April 2016)
For more information, please refer to the attached press releases.
Samsung Pay Goes Live in Singapore