Water and Dust Resistance of Your Samsung Galaxy S5
This device is rated IP67, using the Ingress Protection rating system. The dust rating is 6 (highest level of protection), and the water resistance rating is 7 (water-resistant up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes). Despite this classification, your device is not impervious to water damage in any situation. It is important that all compartments are closed tightly.
The device is water-resistant and dustproof at an IP67 rating, which tests submersion up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. The device is not shockproof. Covers must be tightly closed.
Dust and Water Resistance
Position the battery cover over the battery compartment, and securely press down around the edges until you hear clicking. Press down all the way around the outside of the cover to create a tight seal.
Before closing the cover, check to see if there is any foreign substance, such as dust or sand, between the rubber on the back of the cover and the sealing area.
To avoid water damage, ensure that the back cover is completely closed by pressing just below the LED flash.
When replacing the battery cover, do not apply pressure to the screen (“squeeze”), as this can damage the screen.
Close the USB cover tightly to seal it, and leave it closed when not charging the device.
Be careful not to damage or detach the USB cover, as a damaged or missing cover can result in water damage to the device.
Follow these tips carefully to prevent damage to the device:
- Whenever your device gets wet, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth.
- Do not expose the device to salt water or ionized water, and do not submerge the device in water more than 1 meter deep for more than 30 minutes. If your device is exposed to salt water, wash the device with fresh water, then dry thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. Otherwise, when it dries, salt may accumulate and block the primary microphone, earpiece, and external speaker.
- When drying off your device, be sure to pat the earpiece (top front of the device), primary microphone (bottom of device), and external speaker (back of device) with a clean, soft cloth to remove as much water as possible.
- When making a call immediately after your device is wet, the microphone may have water in it, which may lower the volume that the other person will hear. After drying off the device, allow the device to air-dry before making a call.
- The back cover and power/accessory interface connector cover may be loosened slightly if the device is dropped or receives an impact. Ensure that all the covers are properly aligned and tightly closed. Otherwise, they may not provide protection from water and dust.
- Always keep the power/accessory interface connector cover clean, and be careful to avoid damaging it.
The touchscreen may not be active in water.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.