Using Your Gear VR (2016) for the First Time (SM-R323)
Here's how to get ready to use your Gear VR.
Installing the Straps
First, install and adjust the Gear VR straps.
- Insert the ends of the main strap (the wider strap) through the loops on the Gear VR headset (1). Fasten the Velcro tabs to ensure a snug but comfortable fit (2).
- Fit the hook at the end of top strap under the metal bar at the top of the headset (1), then gently pull upward until it snaps into place (2).
- Slide the other end of top strap through the loop in the main strap (3) and fasten the Velcro tab (4).
- Adjust the straps until the headset rests comfortably on your head, with the lenses centered in front of your eyes.
Switching the Device Holder
The device holder can be switched to allow USB-C and Micro USB compatible smartphones to be used with the Gear VR. Follow the step below to switch out the device holder.
The USB Type-C device holder is attached to the Gear VR by default.
- Slide the lock switch to the unlock position (1) and remove the device holder from the Gear VR by pulling it out and away to remove it.
Be careful not to break the connector base while trying to remove the device holder.
- Select another device holder, slide its lock switch to the right (3), align the connector on the grooved and slide it back into the holder slot (4). Then, lock the holder by sliding the lock switch back to the lock position.
Do not slide the device holder into the holder slot while the lock switch is in the locked position. This may damage the lock switch’s latch. Ensure that you lock the device holder by sliding the lock switch to the locked position. If not, the mobile device may accidentally separate from the Gear VR and be damaged.
Connecting your Samsung Mobile Device
Next, connect your Samsung mobile device to the Gear VR headset.
- pull the device holder (right) to the right (1), verify the Lock Switch is in the correct “locked” position (2), and gently push the device holder into either position A or B (3) depending on the size of the mobile device screen you are using.
- Carefully insert the mobile device (face down) at an angle into the center of the Gear VR and then insert the Gear VR connector into the mobile device’s USB port.
Ensure that the connector is fully inserted into the mobile device’s USB port. The device makes a sound when properly connected.
Do not forcefully insert the connector into the mobile device as this may damage the connector. Improper installation can scratch the mobile device.
- Insert the mobile device into the center of the Gear VR and gently push the mobile device until it locks into place (2). The device holder (right) will return to the previous position and hold the mobile device (3). The mobile device will emit a sound when it is connected to the Gear VR properly.
If the mobile device is not securely locked, the mobile device may accidentally separate from the Gear VR and be damaged. Do not twist or bend the Gear VR’s connector when you connect or disconnect the mobile device. Doing so may damage the connector.
- Verify the orientation of the mobile device.
If you insert the mobile device tilted to one side, it may cause discomfort. In this case, the mobile device screen will not be aligned properly to the lenses.
Factory lens protectors are pre-installed on the Gear VR. Remove the lens protectors before you use the Gear VR so you can see clearly. Do not leave the Gear VR in direct sunlight. Exposure to direct sunlight can damage the Gear VR and the connected mobile device.
Removing your Samsung Mobile Device
To preserve battery charge, remove your mobile device from the Gear VR headset when not in use. You can also connect a charger directly to the headset instead.
To remove your mobile device from the Gear VR headset:
- Gently pull the device holder at the top of the mobile device outward.
- Carefully slide the mobile device out at an angle.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.