What to do When Your Phone Will Not Power On
If your phone is not powering on, this guide will help you find a solution.
Do NOT use any other device's charger. If you need to use and charge the device, you must use the Samsung factory travel charger. The Samsung factory charger is required to properly charge your device. Using a 3rd party charger can hinder the charging of your device and may cause battery issues if used long term.
The USB connection on a PC may not provide enough power for you to charge and use the device at the same time. If you don't have access to the factory travel charger you can charge the device using the USB connection on your PC, but the device may require significantly more time to charge (up to 10 hours). Your device will need to be powered off to efficiently charge.
- Verify the device, charger, and USB cable have no physical or liquid damage.
- For devices with a removable battery, check the battery, battery compartment, and USB connections for corrosion or bent pins.
- If the back of your device is removable, inspect the Liquid Damage Indicator (LDI) on the battery and in the battery compartment. If the back is not removable, inspect the LDI in the SIM card tray. The LDI should be solid white, or white with pink or purple Xs.
- The USB connection should be snug with hardly any wiggle room.
- On devices with removable batteries remove the battery for 30 seconds then replace the battery. If you cannot remove the battery, press and hold the Power and Volume down buttons for 30 seconds.
- Connect and charge the device using the factory travel charger for at least 1 hour.
The battery charging indicator can take up to 10 minutes to appear on the phone's screen.
- Disconnect the device and then attempt to turn it on by holding the power button down for 15-20 seconds. The Samsung Galaxy logo will appear.
- If the device turns On, the device needed to be charged. Turn Off the device and reconnect it to the factory travel charger until charged.
- If the device fails to turn on after performing the troubleshooting above, your device needs service.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.