Customizing the Lock Screen In Windows 8.1
Customizing Lock Screen in Windows 8.1
The information below only works after the latest Windows 8.1 update released by Microsoft. If you have not updated Windows 8.1, CLICK HERE to go to Microsoft's support page and learn how to install the update.
You can customize the image and functionality of the lock screen. To customize your lock screen:
- Press the Windows key and C key or place your cursor in the top right corner of the screen to open the Charms menu.
- Select Settings from the Charms menu.
- Click on Change PC Settings in the lower right corner.
- Under PC Settings, select PC & devices.
- Lock screen is automatically selected. You can click on any of the pre-set lock screen images to set them as your lock screen background.
Setting Images to Lock Screen Background
If you would like to set your own image as the lock screen background, follow the steps below.
- Click on Browse located under the pre-set lock screen images.
- The PC page displays all of the images you have stored in your Pictures folder. Select the picture you would like to set as your lock screen background and click Choose picture from the lower right corner.
If your pictures are located in a different location, click on Go Up to select the correct folder.
Set a Slide Show
If you would like to set a Slide Show, follow the steps below:
- Move the slider under 'Play a slide show on the lock screen' to On.
- The Pictures folder is the default folder for slide show pictures. To add a folder, click the plus next to Add a folder.
- You can select from the following slide show options. To enable an option, move the slider to On.
- Include Camera Roll folders from this PC and OneDrive - Include pictures that are in the Camera roll folder.
- Only use the pictures that will fit best on my screen - Only pictures with the best resolution to display on your screen will appear in the slide show.
- Play a slide show when using battery power - The slide show will play, even when your PC is running on battery power.
- When my PC is inactive, show the lock screen instead of turning off the screen - By clicking on the drop down option, you can select how long the slide show will display before the screen turns off.
Select Lock Screen Apps
Lock screen apps are apps that run in the background when your PC is locked. Selecting Lock screen apps will allow you to receive status updates and notifications for your apps. For example, if you select the e-mail app as a lock screen app, you will get notifications that you have a new e-mail even when your PC is locked.
To select Lock Screen apps, follow the steps below:
- Under the Lock screen apps header, click on one of the gray boxes.
- The available lock screen apps will appear. Click on one to select it.
- If your don't want one of the set apps, click on 'Don't show quick status here'. The box will appear as a + sign when not in use.
- You can also set one app to display detailed status information on the lock screen. Click on the box under 'Choose an app to display detailed status' to select your detailed lock screen app.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.