Sync, Back Up, and Restore Using Samsung Cloud
We made it safe, convenient and seamless to sync, back up and restore what you need across Samsung devices with Samsung Cloud.
What is Sync (Synchronization)?
"Sync (Synchronization)" is used to match content across all supported devices that use the same Samsung account through Samsung Cloud. For example, if you edit or delete synced photos on one of your devices, the changes will also be applied to the same photos on other synced devices.
What is Backup and Restore?
Samsung Cloud (Backup) stores the content you selected to the Samsung cloud. The content can be backed up either automatically, or when selecting Back up Now in Settings. Samsung Cloud (Restore) downloads the content you backed up in the cloud to your device, either during device setup or within device/app settings.
What to do if Sync/Backup Repeatedly Fails?
Try the following:
- Check the Wi-Fi connection again. Network settings can be set to sync data only when Wi-Fi is connected. You can change your network settings in the setting menu of each app, or the Samsung Cloud settings menu.
- Check the cloud storage, Sync/backup will fail if there is not enough memory in your Samsung Cloud account.
- The battery is less than 10%.
Can I Set the Device to Automatically Sync or Back Up Data?
Content is sync'd automatically whenever new content is created except:
- The battery is less than 10%.
- The device is connected to a cellular network and Sync is enabled for Wi-Fi only in network settings.
- The Cloud storage is full.
You can back up automatically if Auto backup is enabled. Follow the steps below.
- Settings > Cloud and accounts > Samsung Cloud > Back up my data
- Settings > Cloud and accounts or Account > Backup and reset > Backup my data
Can I Delete Synced and Backed Up Content?
Yes, you can delete synced and backed up items within apps like Gallery, Samsung Notes, and Calendar. For other backed up items not tied to an app, follow the steps below to delete your backup.
- Settings > Cloud and accounts > Samsung Cloud > Cloud Usage
- Settings > Cloud and accounts or Account > Backup and reset > Storage Usage at Samsung Backup and reset
Content Supported by Samsung Cloud Sync and Backup/Restore
Sync the following content:
- Calendar (Saved in Samsung account) - Event, Task
- Contacts (Saved in Samsung account) - Contact list, Email, address, Business card
- Internet - Book mark, Saved page, Open tab
- Keyboard data - Predictive text
- S Note - Action Memo, Notes, and Categories from S note
- Samsung Note - Samsung Note items such as memo, scrapbook and drawings
Sync functionality supported by Samsung Cloud is dependent on the country and carrier/device model. Exact items supported by the device can be viewed in the Cloud settings on your device.
Content Supported by Backup/Restore.
- Phone - Phone logs
- Clock - Alarm, World clock
- Document - Document in device (hwp, gul, pdf, doc, xls, ppt, docx, xlsx, pptx, htm, html, txt etc)
- Message - Enhanced messaging contents, MMS, SMS
- Home screen - App and Widget layout, Wallpaper
- Application - APK, App data, App settings
- Music - music in device (MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA etc)
- Settings - Accessibility, App settings, Ringtone, Samsung keyboard, Wi-Fi
- Voice Recorder - Recordings(Standard, Interview, Voice memo)
Backup/restore items supported by Samsung Cloud is dependent on the country and carrier/device model. Items supported by the device can be viewed in the Cloud settings on your device.
Contacts saved on the device and USM, My profiles and Calendar content saved on the device will automatically back up if Auto back up is enabled or Back up now is started. This is intended to prevent loss of data that was not saved in Samsung Cloud. Additionally, contacts and calendar data saved on the device is backed up, but is also sync'd when changes are made within these apps.
Does Sync and Backup/Restore Only Run on Wi-Fi?
Please note that syncing or backing up using mobile data can incur additional costs.
You can back up or sync your data using Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi/mobile connection.
You can change your network settings in the Settings menu of each app, or within the Samsung Cloud settings menu. Backup and Sync settings can be changed separately.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.