SmartThings - Use SmartThings Find
With all the devices we own these days, it is easy to accidentally misplace one or two. Luckily, the SmartThings Find feature in the SmartThings app will help you locate your precious devices, like your phone, tablet, earbuds, and watch. SmartThings Find will scan for your devices and even show you a map with detailed information, including addresses and timestamps. You can also share device information with other Galaxy phone users so a friend can locate a device for you. If you need additional tracking options, you can connect to Find My Mobile within the app or use the Galaxy SmartTag as well.
Screens and settings available may vary depending on your Canadian wireless service provider and your software version. You must sign into your Samsung account to use SmartThings Find. SmartThings Find may not compatible with some carriers.
Note: You may be prompted to allow location permissions when opening the SmartThings app.
Navigate to and open the SmartThings app. Then, tap the new SmartThings Find card and tap Download to download the necessary add-ons. If needed, tap Agree. Next, select the devices you would like to see on the location map, and then tap Done.
You will see a map containing the devices you selected. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to view detailed information about your devices, such as their approximate locations. Select a specific device by tapping it on the map.
If you ever need to remove the SmartThings Find card from SmartThings, first navigate to the card’s location in the app. Tap the More options icon (the three vertical dots) and then tap Edit. Deselect SmartThings Find to remove the card, and then tap Save. You can add it back at any time by selecting it again. Keep in mind that removing the card from the SmartThings app will not uninstall SmartThings Find.
You can narrow down locations and view navigation directions for your misplaced devices using the SmartThings Find card. Or, if you know a device is nearby, you can make it ring loudly so you can find it fast.
Navigate to and open the SmartThings app, and then tap the Menu icon (the three horizontal lines). Tap the Location drop-down menu to navigate to the location with the SmartThings Find card. The Find card will display your currently added devices along the bottom panel; tap each one to view its name and location on the map. Tap the Refresh icon under the device's name to reload the location tracking.
Tap the map to open SmartThings Find and see more options. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to view all of your devices. Tap a device to view it on the map, and then zoom in on the map by pinching the screen with your fingers.
If you need to search your surrounding area for a device or want your device to make a sound, you can use the options at the bottom of the screen:
- Search nearby: Begin scanning the immediate area for your device. You will receive a notification when the device is detected. You can quit scanning at any time by tapping Stop.
- Navigate: Open Google Maps Navigation to generate the fastest route to your device. This option may not be available if the device cannot be located.
- Ring: Make your device ring at its maximum volume for one minute. Your device will ring even if it is set to mute or vibrate.
Important: If you believe your device has been stolen, do not go to the location on the map. Contact the authorities instead.
SmartThings Find includes extra options to make it easier to find your devices. For instance, you can add or remove devices that SmartThings will be able to locate, and also share location information with other Galaxy phone users.
To begin, navigate to and open the SmartThings app, and then tap the SmartThings Find card. Tap the More options icon (the three vertical dots) to use the following options:
- Add to Home screen: Add a SmartThings Find shortcut to your Home screen. You can tap the shortcut on your Home screen to go directly to the location map.
- Show/hide devices: You can select or deselect devices that appear on the map. Tap All at the top to choose all of your devices, or select a few by tapping individual devices.
Note: Up to ten devices can be selected at a time.
- Settings: Tap Allow devices to be found to choose which devices can be found on the map by other Galaxy phone users.
- Information: View the software version and other information about SmartThings Find.
You can also turn on Offline finding by tapping the switch. Then, tap the More options icon (the three vertical dots), then tap Encrypt offline location, and then tap the switch to encrypt your phone’s offline location. This way, only you will be able to find your device.
Once the SmartTag has been connected with the SmartThings app on your device, you can use it to track and find your items whenever you need to. You will not need to pay for the basic tracking service, either!