How do I monitor data usage on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3?
The Data usage application shows how much data you have used and which applications or services are responsible for your data usage. You can set mobile data limits, view Wi-Fi® usage, restrict background data usage, and turn data roaming usage on or off.
Screens and settings available may vary by wireless service provider and software version.
View Data Usage
Data usage shown in the Data usage application is measured by your mobile device. Your wireless service provider's data usage accounting may differ.
- From the Home screen, touch Apps .
- Touch Settings .
- Touch the CONNECTIONS tab.
Note: To switch to the tab view, touch Menu > Switch to tab view.
- Touch Data usage .
- Your device will display your data usage for the current cycle in GB or MB, along with a graph of this usage. Scroll down to view data usage by application.
Manage Data Usage
- Mark the Mobile data checkbox to turn on mobile data.
Note: For some devices, it may be necessary to touch Mobile data and mark the checkboxes for the types of data you want to turn on.
- If displayed, mark the Alert me about data usage checkbox to be notified when you have reached a specified limit.
- Touch on the right side of the graph, and drag it up or down to adjust the warning limit.
- Mark the Limit mobile data usage or Set mobile data limit checkbox to turn off the data connection when the limit is reached.
- Touch on the right side of the graph, and drag it up or down to adjust the mobile data limit.
- To change the data usage cycle shown in the chart, touch the date range displayed and then touch Change cycle.
Mobile Data Limit Reached
When you have reached your mobile data limit, you may receive a message about your data usage.
If your mobile data connection has been turned off, you can turn it on anytime by touching the notification about mobile data in the Notification Panel.
Data Usage Options
Options may vary by wireless service provider.
Touch Menu for the following options:
- Restrict background data: Restrict your device's use of data for background tasks unless it is connected to a Wi-Fi access point.
- Show Wi-Fi usage: Show an additional tab covering the Wi-Fi data usage on your device.
- Mobile hotspots: Select Wi-Fi networks that are mobile hotspots. Applications can be restricted from using these networks when in the background and can also warn you about using these networks for large downloads.
- Mobile networks: Access additional mobile network settings.
- Show units: Change the units shown to MB/GB (auto change), MB only, or GB only.
Data Usage By Application
The list of applications shows you applications that have used data on your device and how much data each application is responsible for during the data usage cycle selected.
- Touch an application to get more information about it.
- Touch VIEW APP SETTINGS to view options for the application. Mark the Restrict background data checkbox to turn off background data for each application individually.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.