Accessibility Features on Your Galaxy Tab S
Your Samsung device comes with a variety of accessibility features that, when turned on, let those with vision and hearing impairments use the device with greater ease.
To access these features, from the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > Device > Accessibility.
Touch Vision for the following settings:
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > DEVICE tab > Accessibility.
- Following options are available:
- TalkBack: Have your device read aloud the menu and on-screen options to assist blind or low-vision users. See more on TalkBack in the topic below.
- Dark screen: Keep the screen turned off at all times when TalkBack is turned on. You can double-press the Power/Lock key to turn this feature on or off.
- Rapid key input: Release your finger to enter a selection instead of double-touching.
- Speak passwords: Have your device read aloud characters as they are entered into a password field.
- Font size: Adjust the size of your device's font.
- Magnification gestures: Access the feature controls and view available gestures. Touch the slider to turn Magnification gestures on .
- Notification reminder: Hear a beep at set intervals when you have unread notifications. Touch the slider to turn Notification reminder on . Touch Reminder interval to select 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or 1 hour.
- Negative colors: Invert the color of the screen—text that usually appears black on white will be shown white on black.
- Color adjustment: If you are color-blind, your device can adjust the colors to compensate. Touch the slider to turn Color adjustment on . Touch Start and touch the color boxes in the order of similarity to the first color displayed. When you are finished, touch Done.
- Accessibility shortcut: Add an accessibility shortcut to the power menu. Touch the slider to turn Accessibility shortcut on . Turn on accessibility features by pressing and holding the Power/Lock key, and then touching and holding anywhere on the screen with two fingers until you hear the audio confirmation.
- Text-to-speech options: Adjust the Speech rate at which text is spoken, and select the preferred text-to-speech engine.
• When TalkBack is turned ON, two fingers must be used instead of one to select options.
• Alternatively, you can tap the option once to highlight and then double tap to select it.
• This applies for any instance that the prompt asks to touch something with two fingers.
The TalkBack feature can read aloud the menu location you are in and on-screen options you select to assist blind or low-vision users. When the feature is turned on, touch the screen with two fingers to navigate or to select an item. From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > Device > Accessibility > Vision > TalkBack.
- Touch the slider to turn TalkBack on .
- Touch OK to continue and give TalkBack permissions to the device.
- Review the features that will be turned off when TalkBack is on and touch OK to continue.
- A tutorial will be displayed (touch is disabled while the tutorial is speaking). To exit the tutorial, touch Exit with two fingers. To complete the tutorial, touch Next, review the lessons, and then touch Finish.
- If you want to download a high-quality voice file for English, touch OK with two fingers and follow the on-screen prompts. Touch Cancel to continue without downloading. Mark the Do not show again checkbox to skip this message in the future.
- With two fingers, swipe from the top of the screen to the bottom to access the Notification Panel.
- With two fingers, touch TalkBack has been turned on.
- With two fingers, touch Vision > TalkBack.
- With two fingers, touch the slider to turn TalkBack off and then touch OK to stop TalkBack.
- Speech volume: Select the speech level of TalkBack. Choose Match media volume, 75% of media volume, 50% of media volume, or 25% of media volume.
- Use pitch changes: Have keyboard feedback spoken at a lower pitch.
- Keyboard echo: Have TalkBack always speak typed keys.
- Speak when screen is off: Have TalkBack speak to you even when the screen is off.
- Shake to start continuous reading: Begin continuous reading from any menu by shaking the device.
- Other feedback
- Vibration feedback: Have TalkBack use vibration feedback when you are interacting with your device.
- Sound feedback: Have TalkBack use sound feedback when you are interacting with your device.
- Focus speech audio: Decrease other volume when TalkBack is speaking.
- Sound volume: Select the sound feedback level of TalkBack. Choose Match media volume, 75% of media volume, 50% of media volume, or 25% of media volume.
- Touch exploration
- Explore by touch: Hear what's under your finger when you touch your device's screen.
- Automatically scroll lists: Have TalkBack scroll through lists automatically.
- Single-tap selection: Use a single touch to select a focused item.
- Launch "Explore by touch" tutorial: Open a tutorial on how to use the Explore by Touch feature.
- Manage gestures: Touch an available gesture to assign one of the following shortcuts: Unassigned, Back button, Home button, Recent apps button, Open notifications, Open global context menu, Open local context menu, Read from top, and Read from next item. Touch Two part vertical gestures, and select Move to the first and last items on screen or Cycle through reading granularities.
- Manage custom labels: Manage labels assigned to a previously unlabeled picture.
- Manage keyboard shortcuts: Edit and create keyboard shortcuts for easier navigation.
- Talkback suspend and resume shortcut: Toggle whether long pressing the volume up and down keys will turn shortcuts on and off.
- Dim screen when TalkBack is enabled: Toggle whether the screen will dim or not when TalkBack is active.
- Open TalkBack at the Play Store: Open The TalkBack store page in the Play Store.
- Terms of Service: Review the Terms of Service.
- Resume from suspend: Resume TalkBack When screen turns on, When lock screen is shown, or From notification only.
- Developer settings: Access TalkBack settings used for developing apps. You can Log output level or Display speech output.
A Samsung account is required to download the voice file. We recommend connecting to a Wi-Fi network.
Turning TalkBack Off
Editing Talkback Settings
Touch SETTINGS on the Talkback screen to edit the following settings:
To access the Hearing settings, from the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > Device > Accessibility > Hearing.
- Flash notification: Have your device's camera flash blink when you receive a notification.
- Turn off all sounds: Turn off all sounds, including the receiver voice.
- Samsung subtitles (CC): Turn on closed captioning provided by Samsung in supported applications, such as Video.
- Google subtitles (CC): Turn on closed captioning provided by Google in supported apps.
- Sound balance: Adjust the sound balance of media when using headphones.
- Mono audio: Provide mono audio for listening with only one earphone.
Dexterity and Interaction
The Assistant menu can help users with dexterity issues by simplifying access to certain frequently used features. From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > Device > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction. Touch the slider to turn Assistant menu on
When the feature is on, it displays on any screen you view. Touch and drag the Assistant menu icon to move it to a new location on the screen. Touch the icon to view the menu or touch Assistant menu, which can be customized with the following settings:
- Dominant hand: Choose Left or Right to set your dominant hand.
- Edit: Choose which assistive functions display in the Assistant menu.
- Assistant plus: Choose which apps display a contextual Assistant menu with options related to the app.
- Touchpad size: Choose the touchpad size when using the Cursor tool in the Assistant menu.
- Cursor size: Choose the cursor size when using the Cursor tool in the Assistant menu.
- Cursor speed: Choose the cursor speed when using the Cursor tool in the Assistant menu.
Other settings are also available on the Dexterity and Interaction page:
- Press and hold delay: Choose how long your device will delay before opening contextual menus or actions when you touch and hold the screen. Select Short (0.5 seconds), Medium (1.0 second), Long (1.5 seconds), or Custom.
- Interaction control: Turn off motions, screen timeout, and other interactions in an open application. Touch the slider to turn Interaction control on . To turn on Interaction control in an application, with the app open, press the Home and Volume down keys at the same time.
- Direct access: Have your device turn on certain Accessibility settings by pressing the Home key three times quickly. Choose from Accessibility, TalkBack, Negative colors, and Interaction control. If you select more than one setting, a list of choices will display. Touch the setting you want to open.
- Single tap mode: Single-touch to stop and snooze alarms, calendar events, and timers, and to accept or reject incoming calls.
- Services: View settings for other accessibility apps downloaded to your device.
Tap Manage accessibility to view the following settings.
- Import/Export: Import or export Accessibility settings for recovery later or sharing with someone else.
- Share via: Send your Accessibility settings file via Bluetooth, Email, Gmail, or Wi-Fi Direct.
• Additional sharing options may be available on your device.
• The options vary based on apps installed and features you have turned on.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.