Samsung Ads Privacy Notice
(Effective Date: 1 April 2021)
We at Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., along with our subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “Samsung”) respect your concerns about privacy. This Privacy Notice applies to the information we collect and use for the Samsung Ads service (“Samsung Ads”). Samsung Ads is designed to provide ads that are customised to your interests (“Customised Ads”) on Samsung devices (such as smartphones, tablets and Smart TVs) and third-party devices, websites and applications.
How Samsung Provides Customised Ads
Advertising IDs and PSID
Samsung Ads provides Customised Ads by using unique, randomised, non-persistent, and resettable device identifiers, known as an “Advertising ID” on Samsung mobile devices (such as smartphones and tablets) and a “Personalised Service ID” or “PSID” on Samsung Smart TVs. You can reset your Advertising ID and PSID at any time, as described in the “Your Choices” section of this Privacy Notice.
In order to protect your personal information, third parties intending to provide Customised Ads through apps on your Samsung Smart TV will use a randomized version of the PSID known as a “Tizen Identifier for Advertising” or “TIFA”. This randomization ensures that such third parties do not know that it is your specific device to which the Customised Ads are being sent. Please visit www.samsungtifa.com if you would like to learn more. Be aware that third parties have their own personal information practices. Please ensure that you review the privacy policies for all third party platforms and apps that you use on your Samsung devices to ensure that you understand how they process your personal information.
What personal information do we collect?
Samsung Ads delivers Customised Ads based on your demographic characteristics, preferences, choices, and interests by obtaining the following information:
• Device information. We collect device identifiers and device settings information (such as device manufacturer, device model, country code, device configurations and settings, operating system version, IP address, web browser and video players you use, Advertising IDs/PSIDs, device connection status, language, and carrier).
• Viewing information. For Samsung Smart TVs, if you have agreed to both “Interest-Based Advertisement Services” and “Viewing Information Services”, we collect your TV viewing history, including information about the networks, channels, websites visited, and programs viewed on your Samsung Smart TV and the amount of time spent viewing them. We may use automatic content recognition (“ACR”) and other technologies to capture TV viewing history.
• Data supplied by third parties. We collect information from third parties including: (a) IP addresses, device IDs and cookies to help identify an audience that a particular advertiser wishes to target; (b) information about specific audience interests or demographics that have been defined by a third party and can be matched to device IDs or other audience identifiers; (c) contextual information about third party apps and websites, and the types of content they provide, which again can be matched to audience identifiers; and (d) statistical information about you or your devices, such as generalized location and estimated age group. We obtain this information from advertisers, content publishers and commercially available sources such as our third-party service providers. We require these third parties to ensure that this information has been obtained in accordance with applicable law and can be provided to us for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice.
• Customisation Service data. If you use Samsung Customisation Services then, depending on the settings you have chosen, we may collect inferences drawn from the data collected by the Customisation Service (e.g. behaviors and preferences) and precise geolocation data.
How do we use your information?
We will use this information:
• to deliver Customised Ads to you, to improve and customise your experience of Samsung Ads, and to analyse and report on the effectiveness of Customised Ads;
• for responding to your requests and enquiries;
• for planning, forecasting and measurement purposes;
• for operating, evaluating and improving our business (including developing new products; enhancing and improving our existing products and services; managing our communications; analysing our products, customer base and services; conducting market research; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
• to protect against, identify, and prevent fraud and other criminal or unauthorised activity, claims, and other liabilities; and
Who Do We Share Your Information With?
We may share certain information with our subsidiaries, affiliates, service providers, suppliers, and business partners for the purpose of delivering Customised Ads to you. If required to do so by law, or necessary to protect Samsung and its users, we may share information with law enforcement agencies. We do not authorise our service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
We may share your information with recipients located outside Australia, including (without limitation) our affiliates in South Korea, the United States of America, Canada, Mexico and India.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the information we use for Samsung Ads.
How to opt-out of receiving Customised Ads
• Samsung Mobile Devices. You can opt-out of receiving Customised Ads on your Samsung mobile device by selecting the “Opt out of Ads Personalization" option on your device at Settings > Google > Ads.
• Samsung Smart TV. You will be given the option to turn on Customised Ads as part of the installation process for your Samsung Smart TV. You can choose not to provide your consent. Alternatively, if you do consent by later change your mind, you can also opt out of receiving Customised Ads on your Samsung Smart TV by accessing the Privacy Choices app or the Settings menu on the Samsung Smart TV.
• If you also use the Samsung Customisation Services, you can opt out of your Customisation Service data being used for Customised Ads as follows: (a) if the operating system on your Samsung mobile device is version 9.0.0 or later: Settings > Accounts and backup > Accounts > Samsung account > Privacy > Customisation Service > Customised ads and direct marketing; or (b) If the operating system on your Samsung mobile device is version 7.1.0 to 8.1.0: Settings > Cloud and accounts > Accounts > Samsung account > Privacy > Customisation.
Resetting your Advertising ID / PSID
• Samsung Mobile Devices. You can reset your Advertising ID at any time by selecting “Reset advertising ID” on the Settings menu, described above, of your Samsung mobile device. If you reset the Advertising ID on your Samsung mobile device, any data collected and associated with your previous Advertising ID will no longer be used to deliver Customised Ads to you.
• Samsung Smart TV. You can reset your PSID at any time by selecting “Reset PSID” on the settings menu. Once reset, the TV viewing history and other usage information of your Samsung Smart TV will be not be linked to the previous PSID (or any associated TIFA).
Bear in mind that if you reset your Advertising ID or PSID but remain opted-in to Customised Ads, you will still receive Customised Ads but they will not be based on information associated with the previous Advertising ID or PSID. As a consequence, the Customised Ads you receive may be less relevant.
If you opt-out of receiving Customised Ads, Samsung Ads will no longer use the information specified in this Privacy Notice to deliver Customised Ads to you. Please note, however, that opting out of Customised Ads does not prevent the delivery of all ads from Samsung, including i) generic ads, or ii) tailored ads provided by other Samsung services. Please visit the Settings menu in the applicable Samsung service for more information on how to opt out of receiving such ads.
For Samsung Smart TV users, if you opt-out of Customised Ads on your Samsung Smart TV you will still see other types of ads or marketing that are not specifically based on your TV viewing history or usage information. These other types of ads and marketing will be based on other information, such as generalised location information and other estimated or inferred information. These ads may be less relevant because they are not based on your interests.
Accessing and Correcting Personal Information or Making a Complaint
Updates to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our personal information practices with respect to Samsung Ads or changes in applicable law. We will post a notice on our website at www.samsung.com.au and/or your device to notify you of any significant changes to this Privacy Notice, and indicate at the top of the Privacy Notice when it was most recently updated.
How to Contact Us
If you have specific questions or information requests about Samsung Ads, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com.