Use Smart Switch to transfer your content to your Samsung phone
It’s time to transfer your data from an old device to your new Samsung phone or tablet, but where do you begin? There are several ways to move your data with Smart Switch, whether you have hundreds of photos saved or a long list of contacts. You can choose a wired or wireless transfer, or use an external storage device like a microSD card to move all your data. Or, if you have an iPhone, just use iCloud with Smart Switch to transfer your files. Smart Switch also offers security options for transferring your data, so everything will remain safe when you move data to your new device.
Information provided applies to devices sold in Canada. Available screens and settings may vary for smartphones sold in other countries.
Before anything else, choose which transfer method you'd like to use with Smart Switch. The following information will let you know about wireless or wired transfers, transfers via iCloud, or transfers using an external storage device.
- Wireless transfer: A wireless transfer is a quick way to move content from one phone to another. You can keep your devices plugged in as well, so there’s no need to worry about your battery draining during the transfer. Make sure you have Smart Switch installed on both devices before you begin.
- Transfer with a USB cable: For a more secure and reliable transfer, you can connect your devices using a USB cable. However, you will not be able to plug in a charger, so make sure everything is fully charged before starting.
- Transfer via iCloud: If you are transferring from an iPhone, you can access your stored iCloud data with Smart Switch. Check your iPhone first to make sure all of your important data has been saved to iCloud, just in case there is something missing.
- Transfer with an external device: Using an external storage device is another option for transferring your content. You can use a microSD card or USB OTG flash drive to back up your data on one device and then move it to another device. You will need to insert the microSD card or flash drive into your old device to create a backup of your data before transferring it.
Although Smart Switch allows you to transfer a wide variety of content, like contacts, call history, call logs, photos, videos, and documents, there are some things that cannot be transferred using the app. You can learn more about the files types that must be transferred separately if there are other kinds of data you need to move.
Data transferrable from Android:
- Personal content: Contacts, S Planner, Messages, Memo, Call logs, Clock, and Internet.
- App data: Images, Music (DRM free content only), Videos (DRM free content only), Documents, Story Album, and Applications.
- Settings, etc: Email, Wallpaper, Lock screen, Radio, and Preferences.
Data transferrable from iOS via iCloud:
- Personal content: Contacts, Schedule, Notes, Call history, and Bookmarks.
- App data: Photos, Videos (DRM free content only), Documents, Recommended apps, and Voice Memos.
- Settings, etc: Wi-Fi, and Alarms.
Data transferrable from a USB cable:
- Personal content: Contacts, Schedule, Messages, Notes, Call history, and Bookmarks.
- App data: Photos, Music (DRM free content only), Videos (DRM free content only), Documents, Recommended apps, and Voice Memos.
- Settings, etc: Wi-Fi, and Alarms.
If you’re using Smart Switch and your transfer stops or gets interrupted, there are a few things you can do to fix it. Clearing the app’s cache, checking the system requirements, and freeing up space on your device can help to solve issues with Smart Switch.
Please do not hesitate to visit our Support Centre if you need further information or require assistance.
You may be concerned about keeping your content safe while it’s being transferred. Thankfully, Smart Switch has a few security options you can use to protect your data. You can enable these options to set authentication and password requirements for transferring data.
Navigate to and open Smart Switch, and then tap More options (the three vertical dots). Tap Settings, and then tap the switch next to a security option.
- Enhance transfer security: To protect your data, an authentication code must be entered when transferring files.
- Password-protect files: A password must be entered when restoring backup files from microSD cards and USB storage devices.
You can also tap About Smart Switch to review the app version, Terms of Service, and open source license information. Regularly updating Smart Switch to the latest version will ensure that the app is getting the most recent security patches.
Thank you for your feedback!