Installing the Range Hood (NK30K7000 & NK36K7000)
Learn how to install your vent hood in the most efficient manner.
• Remove the product carefully. To protect against sharp edges, make sure to wear gloves.
• Remove the protective film covering the product before installing the hood.
Please contact a qualified electrician to install the vent hood.
- A 120 volt, 60 Hertz, AC only, 15-amp fused electrical circuit is required.If the house has aluminum wiring, follow these procedures:
Follow the electrical connector manufacturer's recommended procedure.Wire sizes and connections must conform with the rating of the appliance as specified on the model/serial rating plate. The model/serial plate is located behind the filter on the rear wall of the range hood.
- Connect a section of solid copper wire to the pigtail leads.
- Connect the aluminum wiring to the added section of the copper wire using special connectors and/or tools designed and UL listed for joining copper and aluminum.
- Hood canopy assembly with blower and LED lamps preinstalled.
- 6 inch (15.2 centimeter) round air transition.
- Duct Covers.
- Hardware bag containing:
- Drill with 1 1/4 inch (3.2 centimeter), 1/8 inch (3.2 millimeter), and 3/16 inch (4.8 millimeter) drill bits
- Wire stripper or utility knife
- Caulking gun and weatherproof caulking compound
- Vent clamps
- Jigsaw or keyhole saw
- Flat-blade screwdriver
- Metal snips
- Phillips & Torx 20 screwdriver
- Home power supply cable.
- 1/2 inch (12.7 millimeter) UL listed or CSA approved strain relief.
- 3 UL listed wire connectors.
For vented installations, you will also need:
- One wall or roof cap.
- Metal vent system.
Dimensions and Clearance Requirements
Preparing the Location
- Before you install the hood, it is recommended that you install the vent system.
- Make sure there is proper clearance within the ceiling or wall for the exhaust vent before making cutouts.
- Before you select your hood, check your ceiling height and the maximum hood height.
- Disconnect the power.
- Determine the desired venting method: roof or wall.
- Select a flat surface for assembling the range hood. Then, place a covering over that surface.
- Using two or more people, lift the range hood onto the covered surface.
Installing the Range Hood Mounting Screws
Make sure to disconnect the power before proceeding.
- Determine the centerline on the wall where the canopy hood will be installed. Then, mark it.
- Select a mounting height between a minimum of 24 inches (60.9 centimeters) for an electric cooking surface, a minimum of 30 inches ( 76.2 centimeters) for a gas cooking surface and a maximum of 36 inches (91.4 centimeters) above the range to the bottom of the hood. Then, mark a reference line on the wall.
- Align the template centerline and the bottom of the template with the hood bottom line and with the center line marked on the wall. Then, tape the template into place.
- A. Centerline
- B. Fastener locations
- C. Mounting height reference (hood bottom line)
- Mark the fastener locations by pushing a pen or pencil tip through the template into the wall.
All screws must be installed into wood. If there is no wood to screw into, additional wall framing supports may be required.
- Remove the template.
- Drill 3/16 inch (4.8 millimeter) pilot holes at all marked locations.
- Install the two 5 x 45 millimeter mounting screws. Leave a 1/4 inch (6.4 millimeter) gap between the wall and the back of the screw head so you can slide the range hood into place.
- Determine and make all necessary cuts in the wall for the vent system. Install the vent system before installing the hood.
- Determine the required height for the home power supply cable. Then, drill a 1 1/4 inch (3.2 centimeter) hole at this location.
- Run the home power supply cable according to the National Electrical Code or CSA Standards and local codes and ordinances. There must be enough 1/2 inch conduit and wires from the fused disconnect (or circuit breaker) box to make the connection in the hood’s electrical terminal box.
- Use caulk to seal all openings.
Connecting the Vent System
- Using the two 3.5 x 9.9 millimeter sheet metal screws, install the transition on the top of the hood (if removed for shipping).
- A. Vent transition
- B. 3.5 x 9.5 millimeter screw
- Fit the vent system over the exhaust outlet.
- Measure from the bottom of the air deflector to the bottom of the hood outlet. Then, cut the ductwork at the measured length.
- Seal the connection with clamps.
- Check that the back draft dampers work properly.
Vent Cover Bracket Installation
- Using two 5 x 45 millimeter screws, attach the vent cover bracket to the wall flush to the ceiling.
- A. 8 x 40 millimeter drywall anchors
- B. Centerline on wall
- C. Vent cover support bracket
- D. 5 x 45 millimeter screws
Installing the Range Hood
- Using 2 or more people, hang the range hood on 2 mounting screws by inserting the mounting screws through the mounting slots on the back of the hood.
- A. Mounting screws
- B. Mounting slots
- C. Lower mounting screws
- Mark the lower mounting hole’s location with a pencil.
- Remove the hood assembly from the wall. Then, drill 3/16 inch (4.8 millimeter) pilot holes at the marked locations.
- Hang the range hood on the 2 upper mounting screws again.
- Level the range hood and tighten the upper mounting screws.
- Install the 2 - 5 x 45 millimeter lower mounting screws and tighten them. Use the optional wall anchors if needed.
- Disconnect the power.
- Remove the terminal box cover.
- Remove the knockout in the terminal box cover. Then, install a UL listed or CSA approved 1/2 inch strain relief.
- A. Terminal box
- B. Knockout
- C. Terminal box cover
- Run the home power supply cable through the strain relief into the terminal box.
- A. Home power supply cable
- B. UL listed or CSA approved strain relief
- C. Black wires
- D. UL listed wire connectors
- E. White wires
- F. Green (or bare) and yellow-green ground wires
- Connect the black wires together with UL listed wire connectors.
- Connect the white wires together with UL listed wire connectors.
- Connect the green (or bare) ground wire from the home power supply to the yellow-green ground wire in the terminal box with UL listed wire connectors.
- Tighten the strain relief screw.
- Install the terminal box cover.
- Reconnect the power.
Installing the Duct Covers
- Push the lower cover down onto the hood.
- A. Upper vent cover
- B. Lower vent cover
- C. 4.2 x 8 mm screws
- D. Bracket
- If you are using the upper vent cover, lift the upper cover to the ceiling and install it with two mounting screws.
- Secure the bottom of the duct with two 4.2 x 8 millimeter screws.
Installing the Stainless Steel Baffle Filters
- Pull the spring release handle. Then, insert the stainless steel filter into the upper track.
- Push in the spring release handle.
- Push up on the stainless steel filter. Then, latch the filter into place by releasing the handle.
Other answers that might help
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.