Galaxy Watch Setup Guide
The Galaxy Watch is a smartwatch that can analyse your exercise patterns, manage your health and allows you to use a variety of convenient apps for making phone calls and playing music. By rotating the bezel, you can access convenient features quickly and easily. You can also change the watch face to your taste. Connect your Galaxy Watch to your mobile device to expand your mobile device experience, or use the Galaxy Watch by itself, without connecting to a mobile device.
See the sections below for help setting up the Galaxy Watch.
Charge the Battery
Your device is powered by a rechargeable Li-Ion battery.
Warning Do not disassemble, modify, or repair your device. Placing objects, such as magnetic stripe cards, including credit cards, phone cards, passbooks, and boarding passes, next to the device or charger may cause damage from the charger or device’s magnetic field.
The battery comes partially charged. You can use the device while charging.
1. Insert the USB cable into the USB charger port.
2. Connect the USB cable to the charging head, and then plug the charging head into a standard outlet.
3. Place the Gear onto the wireless charger dock.
Caution Only use charging devices that are approved by Samsung. Samsung accessories are designed for your device to maximize battery life.
Using other accessories may void your warranty and may cause damage.
While charging, the device and the charger may become hot. This does not affect the device’s lifespan or performance and is in the device’s normal range of
operation. The charger may stop charging if the battery becomes too hot.
If the device heats up while charging the battery:
1. Disconnect the charger from the device and close any running apps.
2. Wait for the device to cool down and then begin charging the device again.
Note Prevent the USB charger port and the small end of the charger from coming into contact with conductive materials, such as liquids, dust, metal powders, and pencil leads.
Check the Charge Status
When you connect the Gear and the wireless charger dock, the wireless charger dock’s LED indicator flashes certain colors to indicate the battery level.
- Red > Green > Orange: Standby mode
- Red: Charging
- Green: Fully charged
- Orange: Connected to a low-charger head
Note When a wireless charger dock error occurs, the LED indicator flashes red. Disconnect the Gear from the wireless charger dock, and then reconnect.
Wearing the Galaxy Watch
Wear the Galaxy Watch firmly around your lower arm just above your wrist as shown above. Do not fasten the Galaxy Watch tootightly.
1. Open the buckle and place the strap around your wrist.
2. Fit the strap to your wrist, insert the pin into an adjustment hole, and then secure the buckle to close it.
Warning If you feel discomfort while using the device, stop using it. If your device becomes hot, please remove it until it cools.
- To measure your heart rate more accurately with the Galaxy Watch, wear the Galaxy Watch firmly around your lower arm just above the wrist.
- When certain materials come into contact with the back of the Galaxy Watch, your Galaxy Watch may recognise that you are wearing it on your wrist.
- If your Galaxy Watch does not register that a motion has occurred for more than 10 minutes, your Galaxy Watch may recognise that you are not wearing the Watch
Replacing the Strap
Turning the Galaxy Watch on and off
Press and hold the Home key (Power key) for a few seconds to turn on the Galaxy Watch. When you turn on the Galaxy Watch for the first time or reset it, on-screen instructions will appear to download and install the Galaxy Wearable app on your mobile device.
To turn off the Galaxy Watch, press and hold the Home key (Power key), and then tap Power off.
Restarting the Galaxy Watch
If your Galaxy Watch is frozen and unresponsive, press and hold the Home key (Power key) formore than 7 seconds to restart it.
Installing the Galaxy Wearable app
Depending on your mobile device, you can download the Galaxy Wearable app from the following places:
- Samsung Android devices: Galaxy Apps, Play Store
- Other Android devices: Play Store
Please Note: You cannot install the Galaxy Wearable app on the mobile devices that do not support Galaxy Watch syncing. Ensure that your mobile device is compatible with a Galaxy Watch.
Connecting the Galaxy Watch to a mobile device via Bluetooth
A screen will appear about downloading and installing the Galaxy Wearable app
If necessary, update the Galaxy Wearable app to the latest version.
If you cannot find your device, tap MINE’S NOT HERE
Select OK on both to connect by bluetooth
- Connection methods and screen may vary depending on your mobile device and software version.
- When you connect your Galaxy Watch to a mobile device for the first time after resetting it, the Galaxy Watch’s battery may drain more quickly while syncing data, such as contacts.
- Supported mobile devices and features may vary depending on your region, service provider, and device manufacturer.
Activating the Galaxy Watch’s mobile network (eSim models only)
You can receive calls and messages on your Galaxy Watch without mobile device, and use various other services through the mobile network after activating it. Begin by connecting your Galaxy Watch to the mobile device (as above).
- Check that the service providers of your Galaxy Watch and mobile device are the same. The connection method may vary depending on the service provider and region.
- The mobile device must be connected to a Wi-Fi or mobile network.
- You can activate the mobile network only when you use a mobile device running the Android operating system 5.0 or later and with 1.5 GB of RAM or more.
- While connecting your Galaxy Watch to the mobile device, activate the mobile networkon the Mobile service for your watch screen.
- On the Galaxy Watch’s Apps screen, tap Settings → Connections → Mobile networks and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection.
- Launch Galaxy Wearable on your mobile device, tap SETTINGS → Mobile networks, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection.
Your Galaxy Watch and mobile device are connected via Bluetooth. When a Bluetooth connection is not available, you can remotely connect the Galaxy Watch to your mobile device by using your Samsung account via the mobile network or the Wi-Fi network. This allows you to continue receiving notifications from your mobile device. This feature is automatically activated when you connect to your mobile device via Bluetooth for the first time.
If this feature is not turned on, launch the Galaxy Wearable app on your mobile device, tap SETTINGS → Watch connection, and then tap the Remote connection switch.
Using the Galaxy Watch without a mobile device
You can use the Galaxy Watch without connecting it to a mobile device. Use your Galaxy Watch without connecting to a mobile device while doing outdoor activities such as climbing a mountain or exercise. You can set to use the Galaxy Watch without a mobile device when you turn on the Galaxy Watch for the first time or you reset it.
• Some features are not available when you using your Galaxy Watch without connecting to a mobile device.
On the Apps screen, tap Settings → Connect to phone → ✔ and enter the PIN to connect the Galaxy Watch to a mobile device while using the Galaxy Watch without a mobile device.
The Watch screen is the starting point for accessing all of the Galaxy Watch’s many screens. You can view other screens by pressing the key, rotating the bezel, or swiping your finger on the screen.
You can add more widgets on the Home screen. Scroll left on the screen, tap + , and select a widget. The selected widget will appear in a new panel.
Tap and hold a widget and then drag it to the desired location.
Tap and hold a widget and then tap the red minus symbol at the top right
Turning the screen on and off
To turn on the screen, rotate the bezel. Or, press the Home key or the Back key. If the screen does not turn on after you rotate the bezel, tap Settings on the Apps screen, tap Advanced → Bezel wake-up, and then tap the Bezel wake-up switch to activate the feature.
To turn off the screen, cover it with your palm.
The screen will automatically turn off if the Galaxy Watch is not used for a specified period. You can also turn on the screen using the wake-up gesture feature. On the Apps screen, tap Settings → Advanced → Wake-up gesture and tap the Wake-up gesture switch to activate it.
Switching the screen
Switching between the Watch and Apps screen
To open the Apps screen, press the Home key on the Watch screen.
To return to the Watch screen, press the Home key.
Returning to the previous screen
To return to the previous screen, press the Back key.
Scrolling through screens
Rotate the bezel to view other screens. On the Watch screen, rotate the bezel anti-clockwise to view notifications.
This panel allows you to view the Galaxy Watch’s current status and configure settings. Swipe downwards from the top edge of the screen.
Editing the quick setting icons
You can edit the icons on the quick panel and up to eight icons can be added. You can add a new icon only after removing one if eight icons have already been added.
Use the screen lock feature to protect your personal information by preventing others fromaccessing your Galaxy Watch. After activating the screen lock feature, the Galaxy Watch will require an unlock code whenever unlocking it.
Setting the screen lock
On the Apps screen, tap Settings → Security → Lock → Type and select the lock method.
- Pattern: Draw a pattern with four or more dots to unlock the screen.
- PIN: Enter a PIN with at least four numbers to unlock the screen.
You can enter the PIN with the bezel. Rotate the bezel to move to the number youwant to enter. After the colour of the number changes, the number will be entered.
View the current time. When you are not on the Watch screen, press the Home key to return to the Watch screen.
Changing the watch face
Tap and hold the Watch screen and rotate the bezel, or swipe the screen to the left or rightand then select a watch face. You can also customise the watch by tapping CUSTOMISE. To download more watch faces from the Galaxy Apps app, tap Galaxy Apps.
If you tap and hold the Watch screen and rotate the bezel rapidly, the available watch faces will appear on the screen allowing you to select them easily. However, the CUSTOMISE feature won't be available in this mode.
You can also change the Galaxy Watch’s watch face from your mobile device. Launch the Galaxy Wearable app on your mobile device and tap WATCH FACES. To download more watch faces from Galaxy Apps, launch the Galaxy Wearable apps and tap INFO → VIEW MORE of the TOP WATCH FACES card.
Customise a watch face with a photo
Apply a photo as your watch face after importing a photo from your mobile device:
You can zoom in or out of the photo by rotating the bezel. When the photo is zoomed in, swipe the screen to make a part of the photo appear on the screen.
To add extra photos, rotate the bezel clockwise, or swipe the screen to the left and select Add photo. Up to twenty photos can be added as the watch face. The photos you add will rotate in a row.
You can activate a ticking clock sound for some analog watch faces. On the Ticking sound screen, turn the ticking sound on or off by rotating the bezel.
Using the Watch always on feature
You can set the Galaxy Watch to display the time when the screen is turned off while wearing your Galaxy Watch.On the quick panel, tap the Clock icon.
Alternatively, on the Apps screen, tap Settings → Watchfaces and tap the Watch always on switch to activate it.
Watch only mode
You can activate watch only mode. In watch only mode, only the watch will display and all other functions will be turned off. On the Apps screen, tap Settings → Battery → Watch only.
Check a notification such as a new message or a missed call on the notification panel. On the Watch screen, rotate the bezel anti-clockwise or swipe to the right to open the notificationpanel. When there are unchecked notifications, an orange dot will be visible on the Watch screen.
Viewing incoming notifications
When you receive a notification, information about the notification, such as its type or the time you received it, will appear on the screen. If more than two notifications are received, rotate the bezel to view more notifications.
Tap the notification to view details.
Delete a notification by swiping upwards on the screen while viewing a notification.
Selecting apps for receiving notifications
Select an app from your mobile device to receive notifications.
A text input screen will appear when you are able to enter text.
- The screen layout may be different depending on the app you launch.
- When the Galaxy Watch is connected to a mobile device via Bluetooth, the language settings applied on the mobile device are applied to the Galaxy Watch.
Using the voice input
Tap the microphone icon and speak to enter your message.
To change the language recognised, tap the 3 dot menu button on the right and select Input languages.
- This feature is not supported in some languages.
- The Galaxy Watch may not recognise your spoken message depending on your surroundings or how you speak.
Tap the emoticon icon and select the category. The emoticon list of the selected category will appear. To draw a picture, tap Doodle at the top of the screen, and draw your message. Rotate the bezel anti-clockwise to delete the input stroke by stroke. To recover a stroke, rotate the bezel clockwise.
Using handwriting input mode or the keyboard
Tap the text input icon and open handwriting mode and write on the screen.
Changing the input mode
Rotate the bezel to change the input mode on the text input screen. You can switch between handwriting mode, character mode, number mode, punctuation mode, emoticon mode, and voice input mode.
Changing the input language
Drag the space key to the left or right while tapping and holding it to change the input language. To add more languages, switch to number mode, punctuation mode, or emoticon mode. Then, tap Settings → Select input languages and select a language to add. You can use up to two languages.
Using the keyboard
Rotate the bezel to enter text using the keyboard.
Thank you for your feedback!
Did not find what you're looking for? We're here to help.
For all Mobile device enquiries
24 hours / 7 days a week
For all other product enquiries
24 hours / 7 days a week
24 hours / 7 days a week