What is 5ATM?
Maintaining Water and Dust Protection - 5ATM
This information is relevant to Samsung wearable products that are marked as having a ‘5ATM’ rating.
What is 5ATM and what does this mean for my Samsung Device?
The above devices have been certified to 5ATM standards. This means that they are water resistant to up to 50 metres in depth for 10 minutes. They are now suitable for low-velocity and shallow-water activities, including swimming. You can enjoy more freedom to explore, stay connected, and capture the adventure.
An ATM rating is an international standard that shows you the number of "atmospheres" of pressure your device can handle when motionless under water. Every 10m of depth adds one atmosphere of pressure, hence the 5ATM rating of the Galaxy Watch Active2, Galaxy Watch Active, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Watch, Gear Sport and Gear Fit2 Pro. However, we suggest that these devices are only used in shallow water if the activity involves motion.
How to properly care for and use your 5ATM device:
The Galaxy Watch, Galaxy Watch Active/ Active2, Galaxy Fit, Gear Sport and Gear Fit2 Pro may be damaged if water or dust enters the device. Follow these tips carefully to prevent damage to the device and to help maintain the water and dust resistant performance of the device.
● Do not keep the device in water:
- for more than one hour;
- deeper than 10cm for more than 30 minutes; or
- deeper than 1.5 metres for more than 10 minutes.
● Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as water running from a tap, hose or shower.
● Do not expose the device to water moving at high velocity, including water from platform diving, surfing, waves, spa jets or motorised water sports (e.g. speed boats, jet skis etc).
● Do not expose the device to water temperatures above 45 degrees Celsius (such as in saunas, steam rooms or Jacuzzis). Do not expose the device to water temperatures between 40 and 45 degrees Celsius for more than 10 minutes.
● Do not expose the device to a dramatic change in air temperature or water temperature.
● If the device is exposed to freshwater, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to any liquid other than freshwater such as perfume, soapy water, oil, pool water, sea water, sun block, or lotion, rinse the device with freshwater and dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth before using your device. Failure to do so may cause the device to suffer from operability or cosmetic issues. Do not dry the device with a heating machine, such as a hair drier.
● If the device is dropped or receives an impact, the water and dust-resistant features of the device may be damaged.
● The screen and other features may not work properly while the device is in water. If the device or your hands are wet, dry them thoroughly before handling the device.
● Do not disassemble the device. This can damage water and dust resistant features of the device.