Privacy Notice for Customization Service
What is the Customization Service?
Samsung devices, apps and services (each a “Service” and collectively, the “Services”) are designed to provide you with customized services by predicting your desires and needs in a smart and intelligent manner. Samsung’s Customization Service provides an enhanced user experience, including customized content and recommendations, based on the information obtained about you and your use of the Services. For example, the Customization Service can improve your user experience with the Services by offering hints and information customized for you when you use Samsung’s voice recognition service, or remembering music you used to listen to on rainy days and recommending it later. Furthermore, if you give the command, “Remind me to buy a bottle of water when I am almost home,” the Customization Service can remember the command and remind you to purchase a bottle of water when you are almost home.
What types of information may the Customization Service collect about you?
The more the Customization Service understands and learns about you, the faster and more accurately it can provide you with customized content and information. The Customization Service is designed to help understand your interests, preferences, and location, and collects and analyzes information about you in various ways, including:
• Device Information. The Customization Service may collect your device’s unique identification information, settings information (such as language and lock settings), status information (such as connections with other devices) and other information about your devices. The Customization Service also may check the applications installed or currently running on your device. In addition, the Customization Service may collect information about how, when and for how long you use the devices connected to your Samsung Account, including your usage of the Services and third-party apps and services on the devices (such as a listing of apps on your devices, music played on your devices, the websites you visit and the searches you make).
• Information About Your Music and Photos. The Customization Service may collect and analyze information such as titles, genres, and artists on previously played or saved music and information about your photos, such as the times and locations at which your saved photos were taken.
• Contacts and Communications Data. The Customization Service may access your contact list and may collect and analyze your incoming/outgoing call and text message history to provide you with services, such as to determine your relationships with others (e.g., your family and friends), who your most important contacts are, who contacts you most frequently and your preferred contact method; to display information about your important contacts (e.g., missed calls); and to find contacts you refer to while using voice recognition.
• Calendar Information. The Customization Service may access your device’s calendar and may collect and analyze your calendar data to learn your preferences, record special occasions and identify your location.
• Internet Browsing History. The Customization Service may access, collect and analyze your Internet browsing history (such as visited websites, search keywords and bookmarks) to learn your interests and preferences; to display more relevant search results and provide the most appropriate information in different contexts; and to provide you with other services, as described in this Privacy Notice. Your search history from Internet browsing done in Secret mode (Incognito or Private mode) will not be collected.
• Location Information. The Customization Service may access, collect and analyze your device’s precise geolocation and other information related to your location on a regular basis through Bluetooth and WiFi signals, calendar entries and other technologies and data for certain purposes, such as to provide location-related notifications or information you request. In order for the Customization Service to collect geolocation information, the Location settings must be enabled on your device. Therefore, in some cases, the Customization Service may request that you enable the Location settings.
• Samsung Account, My Profile and Samsung Services Data. The Customization Service may collect and analyze information stored in or associated with your Samsung Account (such as your Samsung Account ID, contact information, name, date of birth, and gender) and information registered in your My Profile. The Customization Service also may collect and analyze information related to your use of the Services, such as usage history of Samsung apps, your voice commands given via the voice recognition service, notifications set in Reminder, and weather data provided to you.
• Information Related to Connected Third-Party Apps and Services. By permitting the connection to a third-party app or service, you can enable the Customization Service to utilize the data regarding your usage of these third-party apps and services and to provide you with customized features.
Apart from the information specified above, the Customization Service may also collect information about you, your devices and apps, and your use of the Services in ways that we describe to you at the time of collection or otherwise with your consent. The Customization Service provides you with choices regarding how the Customization Service may use and analyze certain types of personal information, such as your call and text message history, geolocation data, internet browsing history. The Customization Service also provides you with the choice to opt out of the Customization Service’s use of your personal information for advertising purposes. For more information, please see the “Your Rights and Choices” section, below.
How is the collected information used?
The Customization Service will analyze the information specified above through an automated system, and provide the analyzed data to the Services and third-party apps you authorized for the following purposes:
to provide you with customized content and information;
• to analyze methods of providing you with better Services;
• to improve and develop the Services;
• to display customized advertisements about products and services that may be of interest to you; and
• with your separate consent, to communicate with you via email and push notification about products and services offered by Samsung and third parties that are tailored to your interests.
You can stop the collection and use of certain information as described in the “Your Rights and Choices” section, below. Please note that, as certain information is necessary for each of the Services to provide you with the Customization Service, the optimum user experience can only be ensured when you permit the Customization Service access to all information.
Customized Advertising and Direct Marketing
The Customization Service may collect, analyze and share information about your use of the Services and online activities, over time and across third-party websites and apps, as well as across devices, to provide you with advertising and direct marketing communications (collectively, “Ads”) about products and services offered by Samsung and third parties that are tailored to your interests. Where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent for the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You may opt out of the Customization Service’s use of this information for customized Ads via the My profile > Manage Samsung Account Settings menu in your Samsung Account, by turning off “Advertisement Using Customization Service.” Please note that disabling this option may not stop all of the Ads (including customized Ads) provided by Samsung. You may continue to receive Ads from Samsung if you have consented to receiving them from other Services. Please visit the Settings menu in the applicable Service for more information on how to opt out of such Ads from other Services.
How can I delete information obtained by the Customization Service?
Information collected and analyzed by the Customization Service will be deleted after you delete your Samsung Account. You also may request the deletion of specific categories of data that have been collected and analyzed by the Customization Service at any time, even before deleting your Samsung Account, via the Privacy Settings menu in your Samsung Account. Please note that, in some cases, it may take some time before the information saved on our servers is completely deleted.
What happens if I delete information collected by the Customization Service or stop the Customization Service’s collection of some of the information?
If you delete collected information, the accuracy and/or quality of the customized content delivered to you by the Customization Service may decrease. Moreover, some customization features may require information that you have deleted or to which you have denied the Customization Service access, and it may only be possible to resume receiving those features by allowing the Customization Service to collect and use the relevant information again.
To whom do we disclose your personal information?
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we obtain through the Services and the Customization Service against unlawful or unauthorized destruction, interference, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Your Rights and Choices
Samsung respects the choices made by you and strives to offer a variety of ways for you to control your information. You may, at any time, disable the Customization Service via the “Customization Service” option in the Settings menu of your Samsung Account, in which case Samsung will suspend the provision of customized content and information, as well as the Customization Service’s collection and analysis of your information. In addition, if you change the settings described in the “Customized Advertising and Direct Marketing” section, above, information collected and analyzed by the Customization Service may no longer be utilized for advertisement purposes.
Furthermore, you can specify the categories of information that the Customization Service may collect and analyze, as well as the Customization Service’s support for certain Services. However, any subsequent decisions will not affect the information already collected and analyzed by the Customization Service, and disabling the Customization Service will not cause information previously collected and analyzed by the Customization Service to be deleted. Even if you disable the Customization Service, you can still use the default features provided by each of the Services. You can select a variety of options, outlined below:
• To change the Customization Service’s settings on each of the devices registered to your Samsung Account, please perform the following:
• Smartphones/Tablets: Settings > Cloud and accounts > Accounts > Samsung account > Privacy > Customization Service
• To change the Customization Service’s settings for all devices registered to your Samsung Account, please perform the following:
• Website: https://account.samsung.com > Personal information settings
• Smartphones/Tablets: Settings > Cloud and accounts > Accounts > Samsung account > My profile > Manage Samsung account > Customization Service
The specific settings above may be subject to change with updated or new device models supporting the Customization Service. Please note that your customized user experience may change as a result of disabling the Customization Service.
You may be entitled, in accordance with applicable law, to object to or request restriction of processing of your personal information, and to request access to and rectification of your own personal information. Requests can be made via our customer service department at https://help.content.samsung.com.