Smart Switch - Transfer data from your old Galaxy device to your new Galaxy device
Whether your old phone is an Android, iOS, BlackBerry or Windows Mobile device, upgrading to a Galaxy smartphone or tablet is done in one seamless move with Smart Switch. From your contacts to messages, your photos and videos to your music, your calendar events to your apps. Even the device settings. They're all there on your new Galaxy phone for you to pick up right where you left off.
Note: The provided information refers to the devices sold in Canada. Screens and settings available may vary depending on your Canadian wireless service provider and your software version.
What do I need before using Smart Switch Mobile?
• Wireless: Smart Switch Mobile installed on both the receiving and sending device.
• USB OGT Cable: (1) Standard USB cable and USB OGT connector and (2) Smart Switch Mobile installed on the receiving Galaxy device.
Method #1 - Restore wirelessly via another Galaxy device
Important: To transfer wirelessly data from an old Galaxy device to your new Galaxy device, you will need to take action on both devices, at the same time, going back and forth from your old device to the new one. Please pay attention to the instructions as we indicated if a given step is done on your old Galaxy device or your new Galaxy device:
1. Make sure both devices are turned and open the Samsung Smart Switch app on both devices.
2. On your old Galaxy device, touch WIRELESS.
3. On your new Galaxy device, touch WIRELESS.
4. On your old Galaxy device, touch SEND, as your old Galaxy device contains the data to be imported from.
5. On your new Galaxy device, touch RECEIVE.
6. On your old Galaxy device, touch CONNECT.
7. On your new Galaxy device, touch Android.
8. On your old Galaxy device, select the content you want to transfer or unselect any content you don’t want to import from your old device. Then touch SEND.
9. On your new Galaxy device, touch RECEIVE.
10. On your old Galaxy device, touch CLOSE APP when the transfer is complete.
11. On your new Galaxy device, touch CLOSE APP to end the process or MORE FEATURES to access additional options.
Method #2 - Restore via another Galaxy device using a USB cable
1. Make sure both devices are turned on. Connect a USB connector to your new Galaxy device.
2. Connect your old Galaxy device to your new Galaxy device using the USB cable that you would use to charge your old Galaxy device.
3. Connecting an old Galaxy device to your new Galaxy device should open automatically Samsung Smart Switch on your new Galaxy device. Touch RECEIVE.
Note: Open the Samsung Smart Switch app on your new Galaxy device if the app is not launched automatically. Then touch USB CABLE.
4. Touch ALLOW on your old Galaxy device to proceed to next step.
5. Be patient while your new Galaxy device is scanning your old Galaxy device and determining which content should be imported.
6. Select the content you want to transfer. Unselect any content you don’t want to import from your old device. Then touch TRANSFER.
7. Once the transfer is complete, touch CLOSE APP to end the process or MORE FEATURES to access additional options.
Supported Galaxy devices
• Hardware: Galaxy / Note / Tab series, newer than Galaxy S2
• Software: Android OS ICS (4.0) or higher
• Resolution: WVGA (800X480) or higher
Note: For Galaxy S2, old OS (GB/ICS) version can cause incompatibility. If your Galaxy S2 does not work properly, please try after firmware update.
Content type transferred from a Galaxy device
The data transferred from a Galaxy device includes: contacts, schedule, messages, memos/voice memos, photos, videos (DRM free content only), music (DRM free content only), alarms, call history, home/lock screen images, Wi-Fi, documents, email settings, settings, downloaded app installation, app data, and home layouts.
Note: You can send app data and home layouts by upgrading your Galaxy device to Marshmallow OS (Galaxy S6 or higher).