How Do I Hook Up My TV and External Devices To My HW-E551 Sound Bar Using HDMI?
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface)
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) is an audio/video interface used to connect digital devices such as TVs, Projectors, DVD, Blu-ray Players, Set Top Boxes, and more. It removes any loss of signal from analog conversion and transmits uncompressed digital data, in other words HDMI outputs the best video and audio sound quality as it was originally created in the digital source.
• You will need an HDMI cable for each external device connection (up to 2). A High Speed HDMI cable is recommended.
• You will need an HDMI cable to connect the Sound Bar to your TV. A High Speed HDMI cable is recommended.
• Disable TV Speakers. See the accompanying literature included with your TV for instructions.
• Power off both the Sound Bar, TV, and external devices before making any connections.
Your Sound Bar comes with two HDMI IN inputs and one HDMI OUT output, this allows for connection from two external sources. For example, you can connect a Cable Box and a Game Console to each HDMI input and then connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT ouput which will connect to your TV's HDMI IN input. This will send all audio and video to the Sound Bar, the Sound Bar will then ouput audio and pass through the video to your TV.
Connecting the External Device
1. Connect one end of the HDMI cable to HDMI IN 1 on the back of the Sound Bar.
2. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to HDMI OUT on the back of your external device. For example, if you are connecting a Cable box or Satellite Receiver, connect one end of the HDMI cable to HDMI OUT on the Cable box or Satellite Receiver.
• If you have another external device to connect repeat steps 1-2 above but this time use HDMI IN 2 on the Sound bar.
3. Next we will connect the Sound Bar to your TV. Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT (ARC) on the back of the Sound bar.
4. Finally, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to HDMI IN on your TV. This will send audio and video out from the Sound Bar into the TV.
5. Power on your external device(s), followed by your Sound bar and TV. This is the last step in connection setup. See below 'Setting the input mode' for instructions on selecting the corresponding input based on device connection.
IMPORTANT:If you do not have audio when connected to a TV, verify the TV speakers have been turned off and TV audio is being sent to Sound bar. In some Samsung TV's this setting is under Settings>Audio and sometimes labeled as 'Internal Mute' or 'Speaker Select'.
Setting the Input Mode
Now that you have connected your external devices you must set the input mode accordingly, otherwise you may experience no audio or the wrong device audio.
Press the Sat Source button on the remote control repeatedly to select the corresponding input. For example: If your Cable box is connected to HDMI IN 1, press the Sat Source button on the Sound Bar remote until you see HDMI. 1 on the front display of the Sound Bar. If connected to HDMI IN 2, press again to toggle to HDMI. 2.
Keep in mind that your TV may also need to be set to the HDMI input where the Sound Bar is connected. If you connected the Sound Bar to HDMI IN 3 on the TV for instance, press the Source/Input button on the TV remote until you see HDMI IN 3 or an image from the connected device appears. You match the TV to the input where the Sound Bar is connected, and you match the Sound Bar input to where the external device is connected.
IMPORTANT: ARC is activated in the D-IN mode. To turn off ARC you must disable Anynet.
Sound Bar Front Display Message
Optical Digital Input
• D-IN Mode: If the Sound Bar doesn't receive an audio signal from the connected device it will turn off after 20 minutes.
• Aux Mode: If no cable is inserted into the Aux Jack the Sound Bar will turn off after 20 minutes.
• BT Mode: If no connection is made within 20 minutes the Sound Bar will turn off after 20 minutes.
• USB Mode: If 'No USB' or 'Stop' is displayed for 20 minutes the Sound Bar will turn off.
Thank you for your feedback!
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through Live Chat
Please send us an email for general questions or technical support.
Find out how to track your service online.
Please send us an email regarding SmartThings inquires. Assistance with Hubs, Kits, Sensors and Outlets.
Watch and learn how to get the most out of your Samsung products!
Join the Samsung Members community! Peer to peer support for mobile phones.
Find out how to submit an Online Service Request.
Mon - Sun : 8:30 AM -12 AM (EST)
7 days a week, 365 days a year
8:30am – 12:00am midnight (EST)
7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Mon-Sat: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm (EST)
* For any printer related enquiries please visit the HP website .