How do I set up and use my Gear IconX earbuds?
The Gear IconX are truly wireless earbuds that open up a whole new world of listening. Leave your phone at home and listen to up to 1,000 tracks saved directly to your earbuds, adjust your music to get it sounding exactly as you like it or stay on track with an in-built running coach. The Gear IconX makes earbuds better.
Please note: Gear IconX are not designed for use in high traffic areas. Doing so may result in accidents due to reduced reaction times
Getting the right fit
Your Gear IconX come with three sizes of earbud tips and wingtips. Select the right size to maximise your comfort and listening experience.
Please note: do not put the earbuds in your ears without earbud tips and wingtips. Doing so may hurt your ears
Please note: don't pull excessively at the earbud tips when they are being attached or detached as they may tear
Please note: don't pull excessively at the wingtips when they are being attached or detached as they may tear
Pairing your Gear IconX
All Bluetooth devices need to pair before they can connect and transfer information. If you own a Samsung device, connecting to your Gear IconX is as easy as opening the charging case. On other devices, connecting is made simple with the Samsung Wearables app.
Please note: if the earbud indicator light does not flash, charge the earbuds for more than 10 minutes
The earbuds will automatically enter pairing mode and a pop-up window will appear on your device. If no pop-up window appears, follow the steps for connecting to a non-Samsung device.
Once your earbuds have connected to your mobile device, they will automatically connect to your Samsung device whenever they are removed from the charging case.
Your Gear IconX can only connect to one Buetooth device at a time. To pair your earbuds to another device you will have to manually activate pairing mode.
- The Galaxy Wearable app is compatible with smartphones running Android 5.0 or higher or iOS 9.0 and higher with 1.5GB of RAM or above
- If your Galaxy Buds don't pair within three minutes after the charging case has been opened, they will stop actively pairing. Close and then reopen the case to begin pairing again
- To avoid any issues when connecting to your earbuds, your devices should be placed close to each other
- Your earbuds should be kept within Bluetooth connection range (10 metres) of your device. This distance may differ depending on where you are using your devices
- Make sure that there isn't anything between the earbuds and connected device. This includes human bodies, walls, corners and fences
- Do not touch the Bluetooth antenna of a connected device
- Bluetooth uses the same frequency as some industrial, scientific, medical and low power products. Interference may occur when using your device near these products
- If the Bluetooth connection fails, unpair any devices that have previously been connected to your mobile device and try again
- Some devices that have not been tested or approved by the Bluetooth SIG (Special Interest Group) may not be compatible with the earbuds
Charging your Gear IconX
The Gear IconX has a fantastic battery life of up to seven hours, which is boosted by an additional full charge in the charging case. It is also Quick Charge enabled, meaning that you can get up to an hour of use with a 10-minute charge.
Your earbuds should be fully charged before they are used for the first time, or when they haven't been used for an extended period.
- Place the earbuds in the charging case when they aren't being used. While wearing the earbuds the touch-sensitive sensor will continue to work and reduce the battery
- Deactivate voice notifications in your settings. Open the Galaxy Wearable app and tap Settings > Notifications, tap the switch to activate or deactive voice notifications
Lights on the charging case show the battery and charging status of your earbuds and case. The earbud's battery indicator light is on the front of the charging case on either side of the cover open button. The charging case's battery indicator light is on the back of the charging case, next to the charging port.
- Continuously red - charging
- Continuously green - fully charged
- Flashes red rapidy - charging is disabled due to abnormal temperatures
- Flashes red - charging is diabled due to a connection error or low battery in the charging case
- Continuously red - charging
- Continuously green - fully charged
- Flashes red rapidly - charging is disabled due to abnormal temperature
- Flashes red slowly - low battery
- Flashes green > red > blue - the earbuds are waiting for a connection
- Flashes red (5 seconds after inserting the earbuds) - the battery is less than 30%
- Flashes yellow (5 seconds after inserting the earbuds) - the battery is between 30% and 60%
- Flashes green (5 seconds after inserting the earbuds) - the battery is higher than 60%
- Flashes blue - the software is updating
- If there is sweat or liquid on the charging contacts, your Galaxy Buds may get corroded. Make sure your buds are clean before placing them into the charging case
- Connecting the charging case to anything other than a power socket, like a computer, may result in a slower charging speed
- The earbuds and charging case may heat up while charging. This is normal and will not affect the performance of the earbuds
- Avoid bending the USB cable. Doing so could damage the cable and reduce its lifespan. Never use a damaged USB cable
- If the earbuds or charging case are not charging properly, take them to a Samsung Service Centre
- To save energy, unplug the charger when not in use
How do I use touch controls?
You can control the playback of your music and answer or reject calls using the touchpad on either earbud.
While using your Gear IconX, you can use the touchpad controls to control your music and calls without needing to touch your phone. The touchpad controls differ depending on what you are using your Gear IconX for.
Turn the volume up or down: swipe up or down on the touchpad
Read out the menu options: tap and hold
Play or pause a track: single tap
Play the next track: double tap
Play the previous track: triple tap within the first 3 seconds after a track starts
Restart the current track: triple tap at least 3 seconds after a track starts
Go to the next playlist: double tap and hold while wearing both earbuds
Answer an incoming call: double tap
Decline an incoming call: tap and hold
End a call: double tap
Turn the microphone on or off during a call: tap and hold
Place the current call on hold and answer a second incoming call: double tap
Switching between the current call and the held call: double tap
Retrieve a held call after your current call ends: tap and hold
The menu options allow you to issue voice commands, start workouts and change the level of ambient sound without having to take your phone out of your pocket.
Continue holding the touchpad. The menu options will be read aloud.
The available menu options are:
Voice command - issue a voice command to your mobile device
Start/finish workout - record exercise information
Workout details - check the status of your workout
Ambient sound - activate this feature to hear your surroundings while listening to music
Lock touchpad - prevent any unintended actions on the touchpad
Transferring music to the earbuds
Your Gear IconX can hold up to 1,000 tracks, allowing you to free yourself from your phone while still listening to music. You can save your tracks into two seperate playlists, one for your favourites and one for the gym.
Please note: if your mobile device does not support the USB connector, try another method of transferring music
Your music files will begin transferring. Do not remove the USB cable or connector while this is happening. Disconnections may cause data loss or device damage.
Once you have added some music to your Gear IconX, you can organise the tracks into two seperate playlists. One made up of your favourites and one that is the perfect workout mix.
Cleaning and maintenance
After use you should use a soft, dry cloth to clean the earbuds. They should also be kept dry and liquid should be prevented from contacting the earbuds.
If the volume is lower than it should be or you notice the volume is getting quieter, clean the reciever.
Please note: do not pull excessively at the earbud tips as they may tear
Please note: do not use excessive force while removing debris as this could damage the receiver
If you are having trouble charging the earbuds, wipe the gold-coloured charging contacts with a clean, dry cloth.
If you are not going to be using your earbuds for an extended period it is recommended to turn them off. Restarting your earbuds can also be used to resolve any issues you may be having.
Specifications, buttons and ports
USB version - USB 2.0
Bluetooth version - Bluetooth v4.2
Bluetooth profiles - A2DP, AVRCP, HFP
PC sync - Gear IconX PC Manager
Colour - Black, Gray, Pink
Compatible smartphones - Android 4.4 and above, RAM 1.5GB and above
Package contents - Charging Case, Earbuds, Eartips, Quick Start Guide, USB Type-B Connector, USB Type-C Connector, USB Cable, Wingtips
Available memory - 3.4GB
Number of songs - Up to 1,000
Accelerometer, Proximity sensor
Earbud dimension (HxWxD) - 21.8 x 18.9 x 22.8 mm
Earbud weight - 8g
Case dimension (HxWxD) - 31.4 x 73.4 x 44.5 mm
Case weight - 54.5g
Battery capacity (earbud) - 82 mAh
Battery capacity (case) - 340 mAh
Standalone music play - up to 7 hours
Audio streaming (Bluetooth) - up to 5 hours
Audio playing format - MP3, M4A, AAC, WAV, WMA (WMA v9)
Number of MIC (per earbud) - 2
Ambient sound - Yes
Services and applications
Bixby connection - Yes
Running coach - Yes
Notification type - TTS
Voice Guidance - 9 languages, Chinese Mandarin, English (US), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish (US)
Data measures - Calories burned, distance, duration, speed
If you're experiencing unusual behaviour on Samsung mobiles, tablets or wearables, you can send us an error report or ask us a question in the Samsung Members app.
This allows us to take a closer look at what is happening. The data is anonymised and only held for the duration of the investigation. Find out more about sending an error report through the Samsung Members app.
Thank you. Glad we were able to help. Your feedback helps us provide better support
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
There are a number of different ways of contacting us via Live Chat, Email, Twitter, Facebook Messenger and more.
LEARN MORE >