Galaxy Mobile Accessibility
Available via your Galaxy phone's settings
Voice Assistant and
Voice Assistant Tutorial
Voice Assistant can act as your eyes when you're using your phone. Its features give you maximal control of your phone even if you can't see it. When Voice Assistant is on, your phone provides spoken feedback to help blind and low-vision users. For example, it describes what you touch, select and activate. You can also edit text or change various settings such as volume or speech rates through familiar swipe and tap gestures.
Navigating your phone
When you interact with an item on the screen, a rectangular focus surrounds it. You can use tap and swipe gestures with your fingers to control the focus. When you move it around the screen, Voice Assistant will tell you what it is.
• To hear what's directly under your finger tap and drag your finger around the screen.
• To activate an item double tap with 1 finger.
• To move the focus box to another item on the screen swipe left or right with 1 finger.
• To move to the next or previous page swipe left or right with 2 fingers.
• To scroll up or down the list swipe up or down with 2 fingers.
• To scroll up or down through screen content swipe side to side with 1 finger (left then right to scroll up, right then left to scroll down).
• To move the focus box to the first or last item on the screen with 1 finger, swipe up then down to go to the first item, or down then up to go to the last item.
Doing things quickly
Voice Assistant provides shortcuts for frequently used functions. You can change your settings or stop the voice feedback with simple gestures.
• To change voice assistant settings swipe left or right with three fingers to select the setting you wish to change (listed below), then swipe up or down with 1 finger to adjust.
- Speech rate: Increase or decrease speech rate
- Punctuation: Include or omit punctuation in voice feedback
- Dark screen: Turn screen display on or off
- Thick borders: Turn on or off a thick border around the focus
- Focus indicator color: Select the color of the border around the focus
- Notification: Open or close the notification panel
- Sound feedback: Turn sound feedback on or off
- Vibration feedback: Turn vibration feedback on or off
- Quick typing: Use the Samsung keyboard and the keypad by tapping keys once
- Focus on speech audio: Reduce the volume of other audio while Voice Assistant reads aloud
• To adjust the granularity of what Voice Assistant reads swipe up or down with 3 fingers to choose from the different granularities listed below, then swipe up or down with 1 finger to implement the selected granularity.
- Character granularity: Read each character
- Word granularity: Read each word
- Line granularity: Read 1 line at a time
- Paragraph granularity: Read 1 paragraph at a time
Editing text easily
With Voice Assistant, you can just swipe your fingers to copy and paste.
• To enable or disable selection mode double tap and hold with 2 fingers
• To select characters swipe upwards or downwards with 1 finger while selection mode is enabled
• To cut selected characters swipe left with 2 fingers
• To paste characters swipe right with 2 fingers
• To select all characters swipe downwards with 2 fingers
• To copy selected characters swipe upwards with 2 fingers
• To move the cursor in an input text field press the volume up/down key
• To move the input cursor to the first or last position swipe upwards then downwards or downwards then upwards with 1 finger
Tailoring Voice Assistant to suit your requirements
Voice Assistant gives you various ways to access information.
• To have voice assistant read aloud the information displayed in the status bar triple tap with 2 fingers. You also can select the specific information you want hear: time, date, battery power, signal strength, Bluetooth status.
• To have Voice Assistant read aloud the first item to the last item on the screen tap the screen with 3 fingers.
• To hear items on the screen in order after the currently selected item double tap with 3 fingers.
• To hear and copy the last thing voice assistant said triple tap with 3 fingers.
• To go back, cancel or close a pop-up tap with 4 fingers or swipe up then down with 3 fingers.
• To go to the Home screen double tap with 4 fingers or swipe down then up with 3 fingers.
• To list recent apps triple tap with 4 fingers.
• To mute voice feedback double tap with 2 fingers.
Getting started with
• To get a full step-by-step tutorial go to Settings > Accessibility > Screen Reader > Tutorial.
• To practice the gestures you've learned go to Settings > Accessibility > Screen Reader > Tutorial > 1. Using this tutorial
The following keyboard shortcuts are available:
• Go to next item
Alt + right arrow
• Go to previous item
Alt + left arrow
• Go to first item
Alt + Ctrl + left arrow
• Go to last item
Alt + Ctrl + right arrow
• Go to next window
Alt + Ctrl + down arrow
• Go to previous window
Alt + Ctrl + up arrow
Alt + Enter
• Touch and hold
Alt + Shift + Enter
• Go back 1 screen
Alt + Delete
• Go to Home screen
Alt + Ctrl + H
• Go to Recent apps
Alt + Ctrl + R
• Open notification panel
Alt + Ctrl + N
• Stop or start voice feedback
Alt + space bar
• Perform special actions
Alt + Shift + space bar
• Scroll through Quick menu
Shift + Ctrl + left or right arrow
• Change Quick menu option setting
Ctrl + up or down arrow
• Select next/previous granularity
Shift + Ctrl + up or down arrow
• Read from top
Alt + Ctrl + Enter
• Read from next item
Alt + Shift + Ctrl + Enter
• Show custom actions
Alt + Ctrl + space bar
• Search screen for items
Alt + Ctrl + Slash
• Read status bar info aloud
Alt + Shift + S
• Go to next button
Alt + B
• Go to previous button
Alt + Shift + B
• Go to next control
Alt + C
• Go to previous control
Alt + Shift + C
• Go to next ARIA landmark
Alt + D
• Go to previous ARIA landmark
Alt + Shift + D
• Go to next edit box
Alt + E
• Go to previous edit box
Alt + Shift + E
• Go to next item
Alt + F
• Go to previous item
Alt + Shift + F
• Go to next image
Alt + G
• Go to previous image
Alt + Shift + G
• Go to next header
Alt + H
• Go to previous header
Alt + Shift + H
• Go to next header by header level
Alt + [number]
• Go to previous header by header level
Alt + Shift + [number]
• Go to next list item
Alt + I
• Go to previous list item
Alt + Shift + I
• Go to next link
Alt + L
• Go to previous link
Alt + Shift + L
• Go to next list
Alt + O
• Go to previous list
Alt + Shift + O
• Go to next table
Alt + T
• Go to previous table
Alt + Shift + T
• Go to next combo box
Alt + Z
• Go to previous combo box
Alt + Shift + Z
• Go to next checkbox
Alt + X
• Go to previous checkbox
Alt + Shift + X
* Device images simulated for illustrative purposes.